Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Miserable enough to Change

There are not many ponies in recovery that just walked into AA and said, "I think I might be on the edge of developing a problem." Most of us came into AA because we had hit a bottom where the only choices were death or life.
A bottom finally lets us surrender. We become willing to listen to a suggestion.
I have had bottoms while using and bottoms in sobriety. Bottoms have occurred because I tried to control all aspects of my life, everypony else's life and every aspect of Celestia's creation. It didn't work out too well...

Recently, I had really slowed down on going to meetings. Every day I was complaining about what a sad little pony I was. I wasn't talking to other ponies with this disease. I wasn't praying to Celestia to do her will and only her will.
I was miserable. Enough to be getting close to picking up again. Celestia intervened in my life again. I bumped into my sponsor, who I had been avoiding. When she saw me she just put her hooves to my face and said "I was so worried about you."
I just cried.
She asked me to breakfast the next day. During our meal she put it to me bluntly.
"Are you willing to go to any lengths to stay sober?"
"No," I said.
I though about how my life had changed so much since I became a sober pony. Everything I had was because of this program. I was being offered the gift again.
I said, "Yes"
I finally was able to listen to a suggestion.

No comments :

Post a Comment