Saturday, September 7, 2013

New Friends

^ How I felt the other day!
I went to a meet-up of ponies this week that wasn't AA related. We all shared a passion for a certain series about a group of six ponies.
I was so nervous. I couldn't sleep the night before.
Most of the time I consider myself a pretty with-it guy.
My style is reasonably fashionable. I can have great conversation about almost any topic. I read the Manehattan Times every day! I have a great mane-do.
It a facade.
The only place I've ever felt I didn't have to maintain an illusion is in an AA meeting.
These ponies really get me. They have struggled with the same exact disease that I have. I don't always identify with the facts of each pony's story but I always understand the feelings.
I went to this meet-up and felt comfortable. I was just myself. Nervous, but myself.
I was able to talk about some of the core things of my makeup that I edit when talking to other people. Even other AAers. Like my love of computers and video games and reading and art, and so on! I was immediately accepted. Wow.
There is another get-together later this month. It is a much larger slice of this community. I'm still kinda nervous but it is more anticipation than worry.
Friendship is truly magic.


No comments :

Post a Comment