Tuesday, August 27, 2013

(O.O.C.) Addict, Alcoholic, Brony

The first mention and explanation of the word Brony came from my great niece In the first week of July.
For some odd reason the name stuck with me and I would keep saying it over and over in my head. Bronys, bronys, bronys. I think I liked the sound.
I thought it was really amusing that teenage boys and men were into My Little Pony. I grew up in the 80s and My Little Pony was a line of little plastic ponies that came with a little brush to brush out their plastic hair. A neighbor girl had a bunch. We melted their hair.
Two weeks ago I came across "Know Your Meme" and stumbled onto the definition of Brony. Once again I was highly amused and internet curiosity got to me and I started reading.
Why did I do this? I'm 33 with some good sobriety under my belt, a growing business, an amazing husband, a good apartment in Manehattan (snicker...) and three wonderful Jack Russells. I have a good life, filled with love. What did I have to gain from this bunch of obviously deranged, Comic-Con attending, cos-playing, clopping (snicker again...), social misfits?
I started watching on YouTube — that one really low quality video with every first season episode. I don't know what shifted in me during those first few 22 minute shows, but something certainly did move.
I starting reading everything I could about the Brony community online. I read the fan fiction. I giggled at the drawings. I read Equestria Daily. I watched the PMVs. "Smile, Smile, Smile" (and remixes) is in my playlist.
I am astounded, and a little intimidated by the level of talent and creativity that I feel present around me.
When I go to an AA meeting I am among a vastly disparate group of people (I almost said ponies. This gets into your blood quick!) that have a common problem. I can talk to just about any other alcoholic and we have a common experience. There can be 60 years of age, millions of dollars and a completely different life experience between us and we can understand each other perfectly.
I have that same feeling of connection and understanding I get from my AA meetings!
This is absolutely astounding to me. A show about cartoon ponies for little girls and the program that saved my life and given me all of the good things I enjoy daily? How could this be similar? I haven't even met a single other Brony in person yet...
One of the biggest suggestions that they have told me in AA is to "Let go and let God." I see this spirit of tolerance and in the Brony community (for the most part).
I see a group of ponies from different backgrounds, lifestyles and social strata that are bound by something deeper.
My life has been saved by AA and I proudly raise my hand and say I'm an addict and an alcoholic nearly every day.
I told that sober friend celebrating seven years in the previous post that I was writing a blog about a sober pony in the AA program in Manehattan. She stopped dead and she asked me if I was a Brony.
For the first time I said yes with a straight face.
My name is Sans Serif and I'm an addict, an alcoholic and a Brony.

No comments :

Post a Comment